Sing In

Forgot password?

Join GSR

Train Sim World Discussion

Mon 12 Mar 2018, 22:12

Discuss all things Train Sim World here.

Mon 12 Mar 2018, 22:55
While it obviously doesn't fall into the category of a racing simulation, I still figured I'd start this thread for Train Sim World as it is a proper simulation and I thought it may interest at least a few of you who perhaps share my curious fascination with trains.

Dovetail's Train Sim World launched on Xbox for $30 Canadian this past Friday and is something I've been waiting for a long time. While I don't know a damn thing about how trains operate I'm having a ton of fun learning and trying to remember which buttons do what and how to stop the damn train in time.

I'm guessing you English chaps will be particularly interested in the launch content, as it features the Great Western Railway Company & the Great Western Mainline track with all stations and the Class 43 HST, Class 166 & Class 66 locomotives being meticulously replicated.

Dovetail says tons more trains and rail lines will be coming in the future, though you can almost be certain we will have to pay.
Mon 12 Mar 2018, 22:59
Here are a couple of videos if you're curious.

Trailer - www.youtube.com/watch

First Look - www.youtube.com/watch
Tue 13 Mar 2018, 19:15
Looks interesting. I’m on the lookout for a mind numbing game until Super Mega Baseball is released. Been so busy this year I haven’t been fully able to race.
Tue 13 Mar 2018, 22:54
I've heard these things corner like they're on rails.
Wed 14 Mar 2018, 14:58
I was actually intrigued until I saw it was all modern trains. Had a slight hope for some steam engines, but oh well. Still might look into it at some point, but right now I got the Farming Simulator 17 bug again.
Wed 14 Mar 2018, 18:30
I've been following the release for couple of weeks but I am on the fence. It is intriguing but at the same time it is . . . trains . . . I assume there will be DLCs but still it's all stop-and-go action literally.

If purchasing this gives enough reason for Dovetail to release Flight Sim World on XB, I would buy it.
Wed 14 Mar 2018, 20:40
Posted by InsayneHyenaI was actually intrigued until I saw it was all modern trains. Had a slight hope for some steam engines, but oh well. Still might look into it at some point, but right now I got the Farming Simulator 17 bug again.

Yeah stream engines would be awesome. Gotta figure those will come along in an expansion eventually.
Wed 14 Mar 2018, 20:41
Posted by GRD 4 3LI've been following the release for couple of weeks but I am on the fence. It is intriguing but at the same time it is . . . trains . . . I assume there will be DLCs but still it's all stop-and-go action literally.

If purchasing this gives enough reason for Dovetail to release Flight Sim World on XB, I would buy it.

I'd be all in on buying Flight Sim World too.
Wed 14 Mar 2018, 20:46
And by the way, Dovetail has said multiplayer is coming at some point.
Tue 27 Mar 2018, 20:11
So what is your impression after couple of weeks?
1. Replayability?
2. Learning Difficulty?
3. Personal Enjoyment?
Tue 27 Mar 2018, 21:55
Well let's see...as of now I've played it for 34 hours so it's safe to assume I'm enjoying it a lot. It's important to know that this is the "Founders Edition", meaning it's really a paid beta, as it only includes a single expansion pack from it's PC counterpart. Dovetail Games has said buying the Founders Edition gives you access to the complete game for 40% off when it releases later this year, as well as 40% off all future DLC (which there will be a lot of)

The neat thing about TSW is it's a living world, where you can get off the train and wander around the various real world stations and you can get on any train as a engineer or as a passenger. Services mode includes a real world 24 hour timetable. So you're not just limited to driving a train from point A to point B.

I'll say this...making the perfect station stop and keeping on time is far more difficult than you'd imagine. The few times I've got it right have been very exciting. lol
Tue 27 Mar 2018, 22:03
There's a fella named Bryer who streams on Mixer daily, if you wanted to take a look. Here is his YouTube channel where he archives each stream - www.youtube.com/channel/UCk4_3M0cQ6LChhX_6HtH0LQ/featured

TSW FAQ: forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/train-sim-world®-founders-edition-faq.3754/
Tue 27 Mar 2018, 22:28
Just as I was writing that they released an update to fix the two largest issues with the game. (Screen tearing and a glitch with the timetable)

live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/articles/article/tsw-founders-edition-update-available-now
Wed 28 Mar 2018, 20:35
What’s this, Global Sim Railways??
Wed 28 Mar 2018, 21:25
Posted by Dead Arm TzarWhat’s this, Global Sim Railways??

Just wait for multiplayer. haha
Fri 06 Apr 2018, 04:35
Holy crap this is incredibly helpful and awesome.

drive.google.com/file/d/1fnSyRr2O8wShKpZ8XN9tDjO7kHik-YNm/view
Fri 06 Apr 2018, 17:41
Hey, so there is a way to toggle the brakes, neat. That should help keep me from getting irritated with the direct/proportional brakes on the Class 66.
Tue 01 May 2018, 04:18
Based on a clue tweet from Dovetail Games earlier today it appears that steam engines are coming to TSW in the form of West Sommerset Railway.
Tue 03 Jul 2018, 09:02
Full version of TSW comes out July 24th. Includes Great Western Express, Northeastern Corridor (Amtrak & CSX) & Rapid Transit (German LRT)

$12.50 if you have the Founders Edition; $50 without it.

profile.dovetailgames.com/live/live/articles/article/how-to-get-train-sim-world-xbox-one
Fri 03 Aug 2018, 08:19
Operator's Manuals:

Leipzig S-Bahn (DB BR 442 Talent 2) - steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/577358/manuals/Digital_TSW_Rapid_Transit_Operator_Manual_EN.pdf

Northeast Corridor: New York (Amtrak ACS-64 & CSX GP38-2) - forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/tsw-nec-new-york-manuals-now-available.3932/