Sing In

Forgot password?

Join GSR

V8 Supercars

Thu 05 Sep 2013, 14:10

All discussions related to the V8 Supercars go here!

Fri 06 Sep 2013, 21:02
The 2008 DTM car?
Sat 07 Sep 2013, 02:08
No, I believe this year they've got Mercedes and Nissan's in the V8 Supercars!
Sat 07 Sep 2013, 06:41
lol well I know that. I'm talking about in the context of the game.
Sat 07 Sep 2013, 20:28
Well underneath the cars are all the same anyway I think? Just different engines and body kits.
Sat 07 Sep 2013, 20:38
Yeah, just don't tell Oz ;).
Sun 08 Sep 2013, 12:17
We can tinker with the Merc a bit over the next week or so and see what happens; but it might be best to just leave well enough alone and stick with just Holden vs Ford.
Sun 08 Sep 2013, 15:11
Oh good because I'm determined to put an Ashes livery on my car hehe ;-)
Mon 16 Sep 2013, 01:36
Signup is now open!
Mon 16 Sep 2013, 22:38
I won't be taking part guys. I can't deal with the line being forced off and now that every one has their assists back I'll be even further back as I don't have the time to practise
Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:32
Apart from maybe steering assist and not being forced to use cockpit view I think the assists make you slower if anything - I don't think you'll be left behind thats for sure!

Agree it's a shame about the racing line though. I guess LOTS of practice will be essential. Saying that you'd have to nuke my xbox to keep me out of this series; V8 Supercars are just awesome in every way :D
Wed 18 Sep 2013, 15:58
I agree with you man, but they do make you more consistent and consistency is what I don't have, and I'm already back of the pack at every race I'm at. I've caused Lanky to crash in to the back of me at Silverstone and I'm sure I've gone in to the back of a couple of others because of it. The fun has been taken out of it for me
Wed 18 Sep 2013, 17:54
I don't see what the fuss is about the racing line. You only need 3 or 4 laps to approximate the braking points in the first place. Then, just find a reference for each big braking zone and you're set, like shadows, poles, markers, etc. Honestly, that should take maybe 20 minutes at the most (at anywhere except Nurburgring or Le Mans). I have no problem getting booted off the track by somebody who isn't using the line, as long as it's not out of spite. It's better racing.
Thu 19 Sep 2013, 01:01
I've had this conversation with you Logan before. I can't get to grips with it and its getting to the point now where I'm starting to feel ill at the end of every race from trying to look in to the distance of a flat screen. And the races might be better for you man but for me they are getting worse and worse. By all means carry on. I won't be taking part.

[Edit] Remember that you've been playing without the line since Forza 4 came out, I haven't had that luxury.
Thu 19 Sep 2013, 01:07
All I can say then is just to try and find a specific concrete marker for every braking event. Feeling ill from racing would probably be because you're trying to use your depth perception and rhythm to estimate the braking distance every time. Find a marker and you don't need depth perception - you just see it and brake.

You said the other night when we were discussing Mark Webber than one of the things that racing drivers tend to do is blame any shortcomings on everything but themselves. I feel like you're doing this right now and limiting yourself like that. If you can find braking markers, I know that you can do it. Just be confident.

And I don't mean to sound cross here, but playing without the line is not a luxury. Everyone can do it.
Thu 19 Sep 2013, 02:09
You also mentioned that other people have said similar things about the game as I have. This is the first time I have publicly made any issue about the racing formats we have here. I'm glad you can go around Logan and find braking points on the track and that you have the time and patience for it. I can't, I've tried numerous times to do it and I am unable to do it. I forget or miss it anyway or if I'm racing some one else its probably different to what they were using and either A) go in the back of them or B) brake to early and they go in to the back of me. I don't race with braking points when I go karting in real life or any other race I've ever taken part as I believe every corner is different every time you get there to the previous lap so your reference no longer matters.

I didn't mean to start an argument or upset any one. As I've said, I've been happy to go along whilst all the assists where turned off. But now that every one is allowed to have what they want...
Thu 19 Sep 2013, 02:11
... just means I'll be even further back, feeling demoralised, sick and generally frustrated at the end of every race.
I'd also like to point out I am not making excuses. I'm clearly not fast enough without the braking line and every one else has clearly adapted to it much better than I have and I have no problem what so ever. The point of not having the racing line or any assists was for the grids to be closer and the racing more enjoyable. None of which has happened for me.
Thu 19 Sep 2013, 02:45
I felt the same way in CCRO. Everyone thought I was shitty at Forza, and saw me as a backmarker. I put up with shit that people here have the nerve to say is impossible, like using the Fanatec wheel on sim steering with 540 degrees of sensitivity, or racing without the braking line and cockpit. Even when I did well, people didn't really give a shit. People use assists to justify themselves supposedly being better than others all the time. If you use a single assist more than somebody else, you're not any better than them, no matter how much slower they are. I even kept up sometimes and people didn't care. I know how you feel, but the braking line isn't an exception.

I give up. Nobody's all going to be happy here at the same time. Ciao.
Thu 19 Sep 2013, 02:55
I gave a shit when you did well in CCRO and in every other series. Why the hell do you think I was trying to encourage you to keep trying in the BTCC that you bailed out of or I was more than happy to have you as a team mate at every other event?

This was never meant to be a slagging match. Just me saying I won't be taking part with a reason for it.
Thu 19 Sep 2013, 03:02
I stuck out the BTCC - fair enough, I gave up on the Mazda, but I struggled in the series and kept at it. Just like you encouraged me then, I'm trying to encourage you now. I've said what I can. Good luck to all in the future.
Thu 19 Sep 2013, 08:34
...so anyway...who's looking forward to getting this series underway and having some fun? lol :)