Sing In

Forgot password?

Join GSR

International Race of Champions (FM Level 2)

Sun 03 Jan 2016, 21:49

IROC (FM6): Oval racing returns to GSR with The International Race of Champions! IROC is run using a specially modified 2002 Pontiac Trans-Am, with everyone using a spec tune. Each driver is also required to use a variant of a spec paint scheme put together by Nightmare x24x, so pick your color soon!

17-Jan-16 Daytona Oval (Day) – 48 laps – 12:00 PM EST/5:00 PM GMT
7-Feb-16 Watkins Glen Short -30 laps – 12:00 PM EST/5:00 PM GMT
28-Feb-16 Indianapolis Brickyard – 42 laps – 12:00 PM EST/5:00 PM GMT
20-Mar-16 Daytona Sports Car Circuit (Night)– 21 laps -12:00 PM EST/5:00 PM GMT
10-Apr-16 Road America – 18 laps – 12:00 PM EST/5:00 PM GMT
1-May-16 Daytona Oval (Night) – 48 Laps -12:00 PM EST/5:00 PM GMT

Tue 12 Jan 2016, 02:14
Ok Amp.... Drive
Tue 12 Jan 2016, 04:16
I don't think we are going to get many practising tonight; I just realized it's the CFB national championship.
Tue 12 Jan 2016, 20:11
Ok guys some stupid questions incoming. I watched the IROC video. Thanks for that Nightmare it really helped. And for fear of pissing Hippie off :-), I want to ask a few questions. As someone who has never really watched much oval type racing, I have a basic understanding of drafting and such. But how do you race like this? Is the physics and simulation real enough in Forza to have a realistic experience? It's hard to simulate this with AI in the game, I've discovered. Any tips and tricks for a newbie oval racer? Thanks in advance for the help.
Tue 12 Jan 2016, 20:37
Those aren't stupid questions at all lol, especially since you're unfamiliar with oval racing. The way the draft works in Forza 6 allows for very similar racing to what you saw in the video, but to a lesser degree of craziness lol. We held an IROC race back in the fall with roughly 12 guys at Daytona and the pack of cars held together fairly close, but passing was very difficult once leaders run single-file. The best way to make a pass would be through bump-drafting around the cars in the bottom lane. That'said normally when things get risky and you have to really rely on the car in front of you to hold a steady line. Same goes for if you are the guy being pushed. If you do get up front, the double yellow line on the bottom will be your best friend. Anything below that is considered out of bounds and it forces people to take the long way around to pass.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit, kinda hard to explain in a comment section haha. And yeah, the AI cars are horrible.
Tue 12 Jan 2016, 20:39
Also, I plan on running some practice lobbies either tonight or tomorrow night. That will be the best way to get comfortable racing in a group.
Tue 12 Jan 2016, 22:56
Nightmare, I cannot thank you enough. This is exactly the type of information I was hoping for so thank you! It really makes the race make a lot more sense as well. A follow up question for you. So far in my league races I give more than enough room to the person in front of me because I don't trust lag. In the previous race run in the Fall was that much concern? I'll try and make the practice as well since last night fell through most people with the game.
Wed 13 Jan 2016, 00:32
No problem, Maverick! To answer the question about lag, no it wasn't much of an issue but their is a glitch(best way to describe it) with bump drafting at times. For whatever reason if you manage to hit the wall or get involved in a crash, it almost always messes up your cars ability to push. It will shoot your car backwards as soon as you touch the car in front of you. This also happens if the car in front has been in an incident even if you haven't. Best case scenario is if we have no real crashes the room should be fine, but that's a lot easier said than done haha.
Wed 13 Jan 2016, 03:50
Anyone interested in practiceing a little before the race Sunday? I'm pretty busy the rest of the week but would like to run in traffic a little before the race. I've driven pack style races on ovals before but not in these cars.
Wed 13 Jan 2016, 04:13
I'm online now.
Wed 13 Jan 2016, 04:21
Nightmare is going to be hosting a practice room shortly.
Wed 13 Jan 2016, 17:52
Super awesome time last night guys. Not only fun but I feel much more prepared now.
Sat 16 Jan 2016, 22:36
Turman
Cream
Sun 17 Jan 2016, 08:49
Round 1 is TODAY at Daytona!

Practice: 11:00am eastern / 4:00pm gmt

Race: 12:00pm eastern / 5:00pm gmt

HOST: Nightmare
Sun 17 Jan 2016, 18:00
Practice lobby is now up and running. Get yo asses in here.
Sun 17 Jan 2016, 20:38
What a cluster f*** with the game chat. That and I didn't know to turn simulation damage off. Other than that the racing was pretty good
Sun 17 Jan 2016, 21:16
Yeah considering the circumstances it wasn't horrible. The broken game chat and bump-drafting glitch really hurts the second lane once everybody gets up to speed. Was pretty damn fun though.
Sun 17 Jan 2016, 23:57
www.youtube.com/watch
Tonights IROC race from Daytona Oval
Mon 18 Jan 2016, 00:32
Its well worth the watch alright man ,it shows the crash i had with Charger and how it happened,Not my fault lol
Wed 20 Jan 2016, 17:18
Onboard with Mr Marko: Round 1 Daytona

www.youtube.com/watch
Sat 23 Jan 2016, 09:11
The first half of the race and some on-board clips from Daytona have been uploaded:

www.youtube.com/watch